Thursday, January 4, 2018

A New Year

I always make resolutions for New Years. I won't write all of them here, but I want to be able to hold myself accountable for these one, and also hopefully this time next year I can look back on them and know I accomplished them:

I resolve to take credit for my creativity. My husband has been telling me for years now that I should try selling the things I create, and/or establish workshops/classes on creating the types of projects I do. I have never been comfortable with this idea before I felt like a fraud: someone who accepts payment for services/goods that are not real or of good quality. But a couple years ago I sold a couple things at an auction, and I was surprised at the money these people offered for the things I had created, which I didn't think were anything special. And about a year ago, I displayed some things at a local taco joint. I didn't post any prices because I genuinely didn't think I'd sell anything. But someone asked the store manager for my email address and wrote me, asking about a piece she wanted to purchase. I did end up selling it to her. I recently created my own Etsy store. If I don't sell anything then it's not a big loss, but by listing it for sale at least I'm acknowledging that my stuff is worth buying.

I will learn new things. I always resolve to try new things, and I do. But rather than just try a new food or a new type of exercise, I resolve to actually learn new things. For example, as a Secret Santa gift, I received a card/role-player game called Ultimate Werewolf. I enjoy playing games, but it's always because one of my friends already knows the game, and introduces me to it. So now rather than just the game away somewhere, I am trying to figure out all the regulations and variations so that I can learn the game, and introduce other people to it.

I will commit to doing good things. Last year one of my resolutions was to donate blood. I ended up donating three times last year, and I am planning to donate again later this month. Right before Christmas, I got an email notifying me that some of my blood had been sent to a patient in need in Massachusetts. I didn't know that I would be notified in the event of my donation being utilized, but I'm glad to know that I helped someone. Also, this past Christmas, I spent a couple weeks baking alot of cookies, and I delivered them to people whom I wanted to show appreciation to: daycare teachers, our family doctor, our dental office, our neighbor who plows our driveway and others. And since the holidays often bring out an urge to clean the house, and purge unwanted items, I ended up donating several boxes of stuffed animals to a local woman who puts together tote bags for homeless families. The stuffed animals were ones I had rescued from the roadside, and I laundered them. I was reluctant to just donate them to Goodwill because I wanted to make sure they would go to kids who would love them (it's that darn Velveteen Rabbit syndrome!), and I know now that these toys were given to kids who really need comfort and consistency, even if it's just a Beanie Baby toy they can bring with them all the time.

So there they are, at least, three of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment