Tuesday, January 30, 2018

More from the Reading Pile

Still working through my pile of books, so here's another update:


I waited for a copy of this book since I saw it  was being published. Like many others, I appreciated the original stories, and the Netflix series Anne with an E, renewed my interest in it and it refreshed the story with new faces and some additional storylines that put the classic in a modern context. Brenna Thummler's bright illustrations match the romantic whims and optimism that characterize our favorite red headed heroine.

Katie Green's illustrated portrayal of her struggles with anxiety, obsessive thoughts, an eating disorder and recovered memories of sexual abuse is well rendered in the stark black and white drawings. The way that she depicts the weight of these issues is a simple, yet fitting, scribble of black ink that floats above her head and follows her throughout the story. 


I probably wouldn't purchase this for a middle school, but I think teens and adults would find value in reading about these types of mental health and emotional struggles.



My son just turned three, so it's been a while since I was pregnant or in the post-partum period (generally seen as six weeks after birth). But I recently talked to one of my friends, who is training to become a post-partum doula, and as we shared what our experiences had been with pregnancy and birth and adjusting to life with an infant, I realized that there is a whole kaleidoscope of possibilities, and even the ones that are not typical are not "abnormal." If my experience was abnormal, then I wouldn't be able to read and hear similar stories. I just wish this book had been available a couple years ago.


I've been gifted a number of doll-making pieces in the past year. I thought it would be fun to try making some assemblage art pieces with them, so I found this book to inspire me a bit. I haven't had the time to try much yet, so I'm still perusing the pages.

 

I've checked Mixed Media Dollhouses out before, and I did experiment with making some mixed-media dollhouses, but I just wanted to check it out again to refresh myself on some of the concepts, techniques and tips. We just added DIY Dollhouse into our collection at school, so of course I had to be the first one to check it out. Everything in the book can be constructed with everyday materials and recyclable containers, so it's great for the maker mindset.


No comments:

Post a Comment