Monday, July 3, 2017

It's a Mermaid Thing

I love mermaids. It all started in 1989, with the Disney movie The Little Mermaid. After that, I made it a point to read the original tail (haha- get it?) and to watch different film adaptations of that story, and other ones about mermaids. I have four Little Mermaid shirts. And of course, I had to build my own dollhouse sized version of Ariel's grotto. So upcoming books and movies about this topic tend to be on my radar. I heard about David Wiesner's newest graphic novel a couple months ago, and I immediately put it on the library's purchase list, but our copy didn't arrive in time for my summer break. So when I spotted it at my local library, I grabbed it!


It was an easy read; the illustrations are beautiful and do the majority of the storytelling. The text is pretty minimal in comparison to the large cells and double page spreads. The story of the Fish Girl, who earns the name Mira (short for Miracle) is very similar to the Hans Christian Anderson story that we all know. There's not a romantic plot in it, but the original themes of of wanting to belong to another world and freedom are still strong in this story.





No comments:

Post a Comment