Sunday, August 12, 2018

The Trouble with Tourism

We just got back home from our annual trip to Delaware and Maryland. This time, we made a brief stop in Ambler, PA.

The reason for the stop was so I could try and get a look at Lindenwold Castle. The building, which served as a filming location for one of my favorite films: The Trouble with Angels. I've been watching the movie since I was a kid, and earlier this year I read the book, too. Last Christmas, my husband gave me the soundtrack on record so I really wanted to keep adding to my knowledge on the film, and visit the place that served as the fictitious St. Francis school.


It was first a private residence, and has also been the St. Mary's Home for Children. The building is surrounded by expansive grounds, which at originally totaled 400 acres.

Unfortunately for me, the building is no longer in use and is fenced off from the public. There is a chain link fence around the estate, and "no trespassing" signs posted every few feet within the property.

I was tempted to jump the fence because I really wanted to see the building. My husband talked me out of it. He called the local police station, hoping they could advise us on how to get the best view of the landmark, but all we could do was look through a gap in the trees, and I saw part of the building.

This is the best photo I could get of it:



I was pretty disappointed that we made a special trip, and I only got to see a quarter of the building, a mile away, through a bunch of trees, but at least I tried.




No comments:

Post a Comment