Friday, August 31, 2018

New Year, New School

I spent most of the month of August going into my new library. I organized the supply closet, cataloged books, made lots of lists, and rearranged a few things. One thing that's very important to me is creating a welcoming space, where the kids want to visit. So, I brought in some new furniture and decorations.

This rocking chair was a roadside find from a few years back. I gave it a nice new paint job, and added a throw pillow.


I made this wind-chime last year. All of the strands are themed by a book or story. One of the kids complimented it on the first day, and he was impressed when I told him I made it.


I'm a big believer in flexible seating arrangements. As long as the student can prove that they can work independently without goofing around the whole time, then I don't mind if they want to work at different places around the room. I plan to buy some more chairs like this, so there can be several sitting areas throughout the library.


This coffee table was a very recent roadside find. After I scrubbed it clean, I painted it royal blue, and placed it in the middle of this rug. I was hoping to get bean bag chairs, but I have to make sure they are 'flame retardant' ones. It may be easier to just purchase some floor cushions that can be easily stored.


As you can see, it really did need a makeover:


I'll post photos of all the displays I made in another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment