Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Did you know that Elvis had a third nipple?

Because I sure didn't. That was just one of the things I learned during my day in Baltimore. I went to a tiny little museum which houses artifacts of the morbid, macabre and mysterious. It's located inside Protean Books & Records. Sorry the photo is dark, but the atmosphere must match the tone of the attraction:



To be fair, I haven't read anything that confirms that bit of trivia, but just in case it's a hoax, Dr. Gloom's Crypt of Curiosities had other oddities to offer:

one of the famous Fiji mermaids (hoax made famous by Robert Ripley)

this clown painting, which is rumored to cause Death to anyone 
who dares stare into the black eyes for too long (probably a hoax, but I didn't test it!)

the remains of Baron Radu, the Eschede Vampire 
(looks real enough, but I couldn't find anything to prove it's not a hoax)

So I guess they were all hoaxes.   .  .


Aside from Dr. Gloom's, we made a few other stops that match my bizarre interests.

We ate lunch at The Horse You Came In On Saloon, which is Baltimore's oldest bar.

 


 Edgar Allen Poe used to drink there, and local lore says that he had his last drink there before he died.



And of course, no vacation of mine would be complete without a stop in a cemetery.

We found John Wilkes Booth's headstone. It's not marked, but it's in the corner of the family's plot, and it's believed to be his. The tradition for visitors is to place a penny, head side up, on top of his stone, so we did that.



We also found Elijah Bond's grave. Bond patented the Ouijia Board. But even if you didn't know that, you'd be able to figure it out pretty easily:


So that was my day in Baltimore: a boob, some booze, a Booth and a Board.



No comments:

Post a Comment