Monday, August 27, 2018

Another Year, Another Faire

Saturday was my fourth time as an exhibitor at the Dover Maker Faire.



 In the past, I brought various dollhouses to display and talked to people about how I build them from kits, or find them at thrift stores or build them from scratch using upcycled/recycled materials.

I enjoyed the response I got from the Faire go-ers, but it was always very laborious to pack them up, transport them, unpack them and set them all up, and then pack them up again. So this year I decided to showcase my junk journals and how I create mixed media art with found materials.

I was inside the old mills, and I was a bit out of place because most of the exhibits inside were technology focused: robotics and circuiting activities.

Some of the Faire go-ers did pass me by in favor of the high-tech stuff, but the people who did stop and chat with me really enjoyed looking at the junk journals, contributing to the 'community' junk journal that I had out, and exchanging ideas.



One woman is involved with NH Home Schooling, and she took one of my cards because she wants to talk more with me.

One of the benefits of being a Maker at the Dover Maker Faire is the Load In Party the night before. After I set up my table, I go into the Children's Museum, which is closed to the general public at that time, and get free pizza. And it's not just any old pizza either, it's from La Festa Brick & Brew. I think I devoured at least three slices of the buffalo chicken pizza, and I also samples the white pizza and the spinach and feta cheese one,.

The Children's Museum is usually a pretty hoppin' place, so it's nice when we get a chance to enjoy it with fewer people around. Johnny was the only kid in attendance at the Load In Party, so he had the run of the place. And then on the day of the event, he was living a dream: robots, pirates, Storm Troopers, Ghostbusters and Santa Clause were all in attendance.

Here are some of the pages from the community junk journal:




So all in all, it was another successful year at the Maker Faire. I had yesterday to relax, and today is my orientation at my new job (eek!).

No comments:

Post a Comment