Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Pulse

I recently got the book The Pulse of Mixed Media: Secrets and Passions of 100 Artists Revealed by Seth Apter from inter-library loan. I’ve been reading a lot about mixed media and assemblage art because I want to get inspired and learn some new techniques to try out in my collages and art journals.


The photos of work in this book are good, but I think I enjoy reading the artists’ responses to the questions even more, and every time I would find myself answering the questions (silently, in my head). I figured I might as well write out some of the questions here and answer them honestly.


The first set of questions is from the first chapter, titled “The Artistic Ingredient”:


If your artwork could talk, what would it say?


I was created with love.


What three words do not describe your artistic style?


Meticulous, planned, pretentious


What shows up from time to time in your art that surprises you?


[I really struggled with this question. I read it, skipped it, answered everything else, and then went back to it again, and I still didn’t know how to answer.] Laziness. I don’t create art to make a living, I do it for pure enjoyment, so I’ve never felt pressure to make something perfect. Whether it’s a piece of furniture, or a collage, or a dollhouse or whatever, I’m pretty okay with little imperfections because I want to have fun and not lose sleep over it. But occasionally I see something that just doesn’t look right to me, or a mistake that would have been an easy fix, and I never bothered to correct it. I don’t usually consider myself a lazy person, so that surprises me.


What art material or genre have you been hesitant about but always wanted to try?


Pottery. I’d really love to learn how to use a pottery wheel to make pieces. If I found an opportunity to try it, like a class, that wasn’t too expensive or time-consuming, I think I’d go for it.


What is the one secret ingredient that makes your artwork uniquely yours?

Most of my supplies and materials come from thrift stores, or the side of the road.


Do you deliberately hide messages in your artwork?


I don’t think so. If I’m trying to get a message across, it’s pretty apparent. Otherwise, I’m probably just experimenting, and seeing what comes of it.,


What is your current art obsession?


Mixed media. Art journals, collages, assemblage sculptures.  .  .anything that involves mixing different materials and colors and textures. I like to experiment with them and see how they can all work together in a piece.


What is your biggest pet peeve in terms of art?


Snobbiness. Art and creativity are so subjective that judging someone else’s work is like judging their soul. It’s not anyone’s place to say that what comes from someone’s complex inner world isn’t “good enough” or that it’s not “real art.”

Is there one art material you couldn’t live without?

Acrylic paint. It’s not expensive so I can splurge on lots of colors at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment