Tuesday, February 26, 2019

D&D

I've been meaning to learn how to play Dungeons and Dragons for a couple years now. I never really had any friend that were into it, but then I found out my friend Adi is also learning, so she was nice enough to come over last night and get me oriented to the game.

The game is so much more complex than I realized. She explained about the races and classes and alignments, so first we created our characters. I really wanted to buy into the fantasy of the game, and create someone totally unlike myself, but some of the descriptions appealed to me more than others, so my character actually is kind of like me.

His name is Hubert.

He is a half-elf warlock. Warlocks are driven by an "insatiable need for knowledge" (and meanwhile I'm in graduate school for the third time). There was also something about a patron that I work for/with (librarians are used to that). He has a chaotic good alignment, which means he always acts on his conscience, regardless of what other people think (something I strive to do).

So, he's practically my twin:



We skipped over and abbreviated alot of the details because we wanted to get a sense of what a campaign is like to play. So our Dungeon Master concocted a scenario in which Hubert and Wisage (Eric's character) come upon a castle in which demon rats are terrorizing the cook and the lady of the house.

Hubert is definitely NOT a fighter- when he tried to strike or spear the rats, he missed every time. Fortunately, he is able to cast a fireball spell, so he was able to incinerate the rats, one by one.

It was a fun evening, and I can definitely see the appeal of the game. I like the idea of creating a character, and sending him on different adventures and really developing a whole story for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment