Thursday, February 21, 2019

Color and Space in the Library

We've been hard at work in the library lately. I finally managed to get ALL the VHS tapes withdrawn, and we have also been rearranging some of the areas and genres. Earlier this year, I made sure all the fairy tale books were together with a cute sign on the shelf that said Fairy Tales, instead of 398.2. But I started thinking recently about the amount of books that are inspired and influenced by classic fairy tales, so I started pulling those books, and made a bigger section called Fairy Tale Fiction. 

The picture books are on the bottom shelves (for small children to easily reach) and the chapter books, like ones by Gail Carson Levine or published by Disney, are on the upper shelves, so that older students can see that our fascination with fairy tales begins early.


I put the big, pink chair next to it, and I hope to get some fairy tale inspired decorations to put in the shelves, too.

Many of the students have signed the rocking chair, and my co-worker ordered this cute Alice in Wonderland pillow sham that says "Welcome to the Mad House- We're all mad here".


I moved the YA collection to a more noticeable place because I wanted to encourage the 7th and 8th graders to look at the collection more.


My crowning achievement this week was relocating the Graphic Novels. I took down the magazine racks and put the back issues into a compact cabinet, because they rarely get checked out. Then I used the extra space to spread the graphic novels out and display them more, and hung up some posters. It's our most popular section, so it deserves  a nice layout, and it will need room to grow.


One more day until February break begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment