Sunday, December 2, 2018

No Place like Rochester for the Holidays

I haven't had much time to write lately, which is why my posts are so few and far between. I am finally getting around to writing about a couple things from Thanksgiving break.

We usually stay in NH for Thanksgiving,  and travel for Christmas, but this year we swapped our plans, and spent Turkey Day in my home city.

I had school the day before Thanksgiving, so that night we just drove to Albany, and then arrived at my family's on Thursday.

We were able to try some new things while we were there, including ther now-famous Dill Pickle Pizza. The little pizzeria Rhino's had been in operation for over a decade, when they were inspired to create it. The crust is covered in a garlic cream sauce, and cheese, and then topped with slices of dill pickle. They're not out of a grocery store jar either- the ones that top the pizza, and delicious, old-fashioned style ones, and of course the pizza is sprinkled with dill seasoning.


In August of 2018, the Dill Pickle Pizza went viral. I saw it all over Facebook before I even realized it was from Rochester, NY. I am glad to report that it IS worthy of all the attention, and I plan to make it a regular tradition now on my trips (just like Garbage Plates).

One night, I actually went out on a date! (It's OK, it was with my husband.) We went to a couple places for drinks, including Fifth Frame Brewing. I tried the Thrift Store Recliner (chocolatey with peanut butter flavor).



On our drive back home, we made a little stop in Seneca Falls. Seneca Falls is believed to be the basis for Bedford Falls, in It's a Wonderful Life. 



There's a museum dedicated to the film there which we visited, and of course we took a walk on the bridge, too.



Being in the museum reawakened my drive to watch more classic films. It's a great feeling when you can reclaim some little part of yourself that felt like it was slipping away.

I've been so busy with my new job and all the new responsibilities that come with it, and now all the stresses of the holiday season, that I hadn't been able to indulge in some of my favorite activities, like working on dollhouses or finding a classic movie to sit down and watch and analyze.  .  .

In my next post, I'll discuss one of the movies I watched.


No comments:

Post a Comment