Friday, December 21, 2018

Checkpoint: Christmas

Well, I made it to Christmas.

There have been some up's and down's, but I'm glad to say it's been mostly up's. I've had some real positive feedback lately from the students, like drawings:



I've also been feeling the love from their families, who have been sending in baked goodies, Burt's Bees and little care packages.



1. I've had some victories to celebrate recently. I knew the week before break would be crazy, so I planned some holiday/winter themed STEM activities for grades 4 and 5, and they went over great. The kids worked hard on the assignments, but they had alot of fun together. I even had a couple of 7th grade girls ask if they could come in and try one of the projects, and they also did a great job.

2. Our book club is going really well! We're reading a book of short stories by Patrick Carman, and since he's the guy behind the ghostly Skeleton Creek series, it only makes sense that his other book would have a creep factor, too. The short stories often follow a common trope in folklore and/or horror, and since I spent a few years at YMS designing my 6th grade enrichment class around those concepts, I have tons of resources ready to go.  The kids are enjoying the book club, but as I looked around the room the other day I had some extra pride because: 1)we have quite a few boys, and adolescent boys are notorious for avoiding reading. Also, there are some students in their who struggle with attention spans and/or reading. However, because the stories are short, it takes the pressure off them. Also, the introductions are audio files and the conclusions are short videos (on the book's website), so even a student who has difficulty processing text can make sense of it by listening to and viewing other parts of the story.

3. I am improving in my knowledge of coding. I have been spending time doing the Google CS First Storytelling course, since I assigned it to my 7th graders, so that helps. Plus, I have been getting into classrooms more to do lessons on coding, and the last two I did went pretty well. The first one I did did not go as well as I hoped, but I talked to the classroom teacher, and we agreed that I could do another lesson to give the kids another chance at learning code. It's pretty disappointing when a lesson doesn't go over well, but I am willing to try again, for the students and for me.

Since we were on the road for Thanksgiving, we have decided to stay in NH for Christmas. I know I will be a little homesick, but it will be really nice to have a week and a half to relax in my own house.


No comments:

Post a Comment