Wednesday, December 26, 2018

How to Make an Introvert Happy

I feel very grateful to have the friends and family that I do, and that I had a nice Christmas. They clearly understand how hard I've been working in my new library job, and their gifts encourage me to continue doing what I love.

My mom sent me some stuff from the company Out of Print. A tote bag and a cool mug that has titles of banned books. When the mug is room temperature, the titles are blacked out, but when hot liquid is poured inside, the titles are revealed. 


My loving husband surprised me with several literary/library gifts. He gave me a special 150th anniversary edition of Little Women, along with a book by Anne Boyd Rioux that contains the history, analysis and criticisms of the book and its adaptations.  Discussing Little Women stories and films is one of my favorite things to do! He also made me a shelf to keep all my Little Women books on, because I have quite a few.


 

My godmother sent me a kit to  create my own miniature library, which I'm looking forward to building. I have a fairy library, which is actually an old jewelry box turned dollhouse, and I created a bookshop for Belle to run as a sort of fan fiction homage to Beauty and the Beast, but it will be a lot of fun to design my own modern library. I just wish I was small enough to live in it.


The biggest gift I received was my very own Little Free Library. These tiny lending collections are popping up all over the place, and I love how they inspire people to share and trade books and they promote literacy in communities. I can't wait to paint mine and put it out this spring.


Aside from these library-centric gifts, I also got a new teapot and some tea, a book about NH graveyards, cozy socks, bath salts, mermaid "thing a ma bobs" and more. I'm pretty much set now to spend the remainder of my Christmas break reading, taking baths (and pretending I'm a mermaid), drinking tea and working on my dollhouses.


No comments:

Post a Comment