Saturday, October 27, 2018

Biography Project Complete!

I went back to YMS yesterday afternoon. It was a little strange to be back in the building, but I was really glad to make the trip. I had to return a library book that I had for four months (yikes- how embarrassing!) and there were a couple odds and ends I left behind. I received warm welcomes and hugs from the teachers and administrators and students. I miss some parts of that job, mostly the people, but I know I am doing some good work at my new school.

I recently accomplished one of my goals; I rearranged the biographies. Instead of just one big shelf that says 920 Biography, I organized them into smaller sections and gave them all their own space on some shorter shelves. I hope this will make them more accessible, and also look more appealing. Here are a few of the labels I made for the different categories:





As for other projects, I continue to weed the collection, and the other day, the Tech. Recycling Company came to take away all the old TV's and overhead projectors that were taking up space. 

Sometimes I wish I had taken the steps for Alt 4 certification sooner, rather than waiting five years to start, but I don't know if I would have been ready before then. I learned alot at YMS about what libraries should be, and how they should adapt to best serve the school community. I also learned what my own preconceptions about libraries and literacy were, and how I can be more flexible.


No comments:

Post a Comment