Saturday, October 13, 2018

Divine Providence

We hit the road early today so we could spend the day in Providence, Rhode Island. Every year, the Lincoln School holds a Children's Book Festival, and they always have wonderful authors and illustrators there. This year we went specifically for David Weisner and Kevin Henkes. The school had a little photo booth set up, so I got this picture of me and John:


I have always loved Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes, so I brought that along for him to sign. I also brought two books from the school library that are now extra-special.I also brought along a couple of his books from the school library, and I told him that I use his books when I teach about Visual Literacy, and he said it sounded like a good project. Proud librarian moment!


David Wiesner had the longest line while we were there. We brought a couple books we already had, and I also got the school library's copy of Flotsam signed, but I bought the graphic novel Fish Girl as a treat for myself. Fish Girl is kind of like a modern version of The Little Mermaid, and I have that mermaid obsession, which I am seeking treatment for (not really though).

After we got all our books signed, we walked around a little, but the morning was pretty rainy and chilly. We did find a little playground, and had fun walking on wobbly rope bridges together:


Then we grabbed some lunch a Luxe Burger Bar in downtown Providence. I had the most amazing burger: it had the regular lettuce and tomatoes but it also had creamy goat cheese, caramelized onions, bacon jam, onion rings, and wasabi mayonnaise. I don't know if I'll ever have a burger as good as that one. I also had a Roadsmary's Baby pumpkin ale with a cinnamon-sugar rim.

On our drive home, we took a little detour to Danvers, MA to see the old Danvers Lunatic Asylum. The asylum opened in 1878, and was in operation until 1992. The property was sold in 2005, and much of the original building was demolished in 2007. However, since it is on the Register of Historic Places, it has been revamped and is now an apartment building.

  

The Gothic style "castle on the hill" inspired HP Lovecraft's horror stories as well as Arkham Asylum in the Batman Universe. (Arkham Asylum is where the Joker ends up, and meets Harley Quinn.)


This facility, which once utilized straitjackets and lobotomy surgeries, is now the centerpiece of upscale apartment living, and it has cheerful flowers planted out front; however, visitors should take a little walk.  .  .


Just two minutes down the road is the old cemetery, in which the remains of many patients who were 'treated' at the hospital now rest. It seems to be pretty well maintained, and some of the graves are marked with simple name plaques. However, the names of all those who died during their stay are listed on three monuments.


So, a day of children's books, playgrounds, pumpkin ale and asylums.  .  .sounds like a pretty good day.




No comments:

Post a Comment