Monday, March 12, 2018

Sneak Peek of Shabby Chic

This isn't the usual kind of blog post, but I wanted to show off some of my furniture makeovers and other creative outlets.

We bought our home in 2014, and the dining room has been in progress the entire time. I think I painted it in 2016, but I hadn't really done much more than that.

Most of the time, it's used as a crafting space or a studio for working on dollhouses, but I recently decided I wanted it to look a little more put-together.

These vintage curtains were a thrift store find a few years ago, and I couldn't resist them. They inspired the shabby chic, cabbage rose theme for the room:



Years ago, I started collecting teacups and china with pink rose patterns. In fact, I found a couple Limoges teacups in the trash can at the Crumpton auction when I lived in Maryland. None of them are from the same set, but because they all have the same colors and theme, they still go together. I really wanted a cabinet or a hutch to display all the little pretties I've collected. I scoured thrift stores and Craig's List for a long time, but I ended up buying a little glass-doored cabinet from Hobby Lobby:

 

That piece of furniture came from the store, but there are plenty of other things in my dining room that are more typical of my roadside finds and whimsical style. This dresser was from the side of the road, and it was really dark wood, and the entire top was missing. I had to put new legs on the bottom,  cut scrap wood to make a new top and repaint the entire thing:


I collect vintage linens, and I had a pink table runner with an embroidered edge that completes it:

The rose patterned wash basin was another thrift store find

The pink and white dresser isn't the only furniture rescue in this room. This old chair was another roadside find. It was UGLY- dark wood with a hunter green pleather seat cushion. I repainted it green and covered the seat using a vintage scarf:



I also made a windchime chandy especially for this room. I found a metal mug tree on the roadside:


It was kind of goofy looking, but it had nice lines, and I thought it would look better upside down and covered in sparkly ornaments and pretty beads, so first I spray painted it light pink, and then I started adding the strands:


I got a metal plant hanger bracket (another win for Hobby Lobby) to suspend it from:


And one day my husband brought me flowers, and they looked perfect in the dining room:


The other pictures and decor in the room also reflect my trademark, thrift store, upcycled style:

 
                                        Wallpaper scrap               Poster from Dollar Tree          Mixed media collage
                                        Frame from the                       Frame from the                  handmade by me
                                       Crumpton auction                   Crumpton auction


Just a little something different today.

No comments:

Post a Comment