Monday, November 13, 2017

All's Faire in Middle School

Another fantastic graphic novel from Victoria Jamieson! Her 2015 book Roller Girl is the story of Astrid, an average middle-schooler who decides to enter to world of roller derby. She struggles to master skating, and maneuver around the rink, she also struggles to navigate old and new friendships.
Her new book, All's Faire in Middle School, contains similar themes about friends, family and pursuing your own interests. 


Imogene and her family work at the Renaissance Faire, so she was home-schooled. The story begins with her decision to enter the local public middle school. Each chapter page is beautifully designed, like it's from a book of Arthurian legends or fairy tales.

 

When she first gets to know her new classmates, Imogene think that maybe middle school will be easier than she first thought. She seems to have been adopted into the 'cool kids clique' without much trouble. She figures if she doesn't say much about her family, and their unique lifestyle, then she won't stand out, and the kids will have no reason to turn her out. But before long, Imogene begins to understand what it means to belong: it means wearing the right shoes, living in the right kind of house, having the right friends, and basically- NOT having a mind of your own.

She makes some pretty bad decisions- and it kind of breaks the heart of any adult reader because it reminds me of some of the bad decisions I made when I was that age, and the people I hurt, before it occurred to me that I was not the center of the universe.

The study of astronomy, and the heliocentric model, is a running theme in the book.

I think the part that I relate the most to is the character of the hermit. Imogene's family friend Cussie is playing the hermit character at the Renaissance Faire, but after Imogene ends up an outcast in school, she decides to retreat into her own metaphorical cave. "Basically, hermit mode involves not talking to anybody and ignoring dirty looks.  .  .ignoring anything that made me feel bad. Eventually I reached full invisibility levels at school."

This is also a tendency of mine. When I am hurt in some way, I just withdraw into myself, and will myself to become invisible.

The reason I enjoy these types of books so much is because not only do they remind me of what it's like to be a middle-schooler, but they reflect some of my own experiences. They also help me to see that I still have opportunities to grow.

Imogene realizes that being a hermit may insulate her from hurt, but it doesn't solve any problems. She decides to use her LARPing (Live Action Role Playing) skills that she utilizes at the Faire in her daily school life, playing a character that is confident and kind, like she Knight she aspires to become. Like, "fake it 'till you make it" thinking.

Another win for Victoria Jamieson, and for graphic novels, and the people who read them!


No comments:

Post a Comment