Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Update on Geisha's Tea Room


I've been working on little Geisha's Tea Room at a feverish pace lately. There's no particular reason I wanted to make so much progress on it, I guess I just felt very motivated because this build is giving me opportunities to try new things and develop new skills. This afternoon I finally got the walls erected. This is what it looks like from the outside:


Here's the inside, without any furniture or accessories. The top of the walls where the bamboo siding looks rough now, but once the ceiling goes on, and a roof, hopefully they won't show at all.


Here's the inside, with furniture and accessories:


Since this project just kind of sprang up, I had very little money to devote to it. I had to rummage through my stash for furniture, and paint/style them appropriately. Or, I had to make it. I made the little table myself, and I even sewed the little floor cushions from a fabric scrap. 


I opted to have just the 3 walls, and I made two little privacy screens that separate her bed from the rest of the room. I wanted to also have a little landscaping, but I thought it'd look strange if there wasn't some kind of transition, so I built those low walls in the front from foam scraps covered in popsicle sticks, cut to size. I still have to get some wood stain to give them a more realistic look. I made the tree myself using a technique I learned in a tutorial video, and I tried my hand at sculpting when I created the little koi fish for the fountain. I still have more work to do, but this is how it looks so far.


I swear, this little geisha doll actually looks like she's smiling now.



No comments:

Post a Comment