Monday, August 8, 2016

Don't foil my plans!

I recently discovered how versatile tin foil is for a variety of miniature-related projects. It never occurred to me to try using it until I watched some tutorial videos on YouTube, and saw how easily it can be sculpted to use as a foundation for miniature trees, houses and landscaping.

The first project I tried was making a miniature cherry blossom tree for my geisha's house. It's going to be a small one, but I thought it'd be fun to make a little garden too. To make the tree, I sculpted the tin foil into a stump and branches. Then I covered all the tin foil with wide masking tape.  I attached the tree to a base (old face powder container) with my hot glue gun. I used Mod Podge to attach layers of toilet paper- the ridged kind is best because it already resembles tree bark. After it was all dry, I glued some little faux flowers onto it. It's hard to find flowers that are actually 1:12 scale, and I know these ones aren't, but they're the smallest ones I could find at the store that were on sale. It doesn't look exactly how I'd hoped, but it's OK for a first try.


I bought the little wind-chime at Joann's from the fairy garden collection.


As I wrote in my last post, despite my ever-growing list of projects, I keep getting ideas for new ones. I watched a tutorial at work in which a woman made a tree dollhouse. I didn't have an extra dollhouse, but there was a tall, narrow cardboard box at work that's not needed anymore, so I got to work. First, I sculpted the tin foil so it'd look lumpy and bumpy, like an old knotty tree. Then I started covering all the foil with masking tape. If it looked too flat, I just added more foil and tape on top of it. I tried to round the corners a little, and I made the base of the structure wider, like the tree's roots on the ground. Hobby Lobby sells unfinished wood 'fairy doors' that are just decorative, and not meant to open and close.

I attached the non-working door to the front of the structure using A LOT of hot glue.


I have to put some more foil and tape layers around the edge of the wood, so it looks more integrated.

I plan to take this to the Makers Faire with me so that people can see some of the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment