Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Hello, Dolly

In one of my previous posts, I wrote about how I don't just sit around and read all day, and I shared some photos of what types of things I spend my workdays doing. Everything from displays to obstacle courses. But I forgot to mention one vital part of my job: Minerva!

Minerva is the name of the Maine state library catalog, and it's also the namesake for our newest library mascot.


The story behind Minerva is actually pretty interesting. I found her in the garage of the grandparents of my friend Adi Rule, who happens to be a fabulous YA author. Her website is here, and you should check it out because she has a new book coming out soon.

Everyone who sees Minerva says that she's creepy or scary, but I suffer from Velveteen Rabbit Syndrome, a serious issue with a name I coined myself. Basically, I cannot stand to see a plaything abandoned or uncared for. I've rescued dolls, dollhouses, and teddy bears from attics, garages, thrift stores, the side of the road, washed up on the beach, the trash can at the flea market in Maryland where I used to live.  .  .It's just too sad for me to handle. 

So anyways, after being in my home for a bit, I brought Minerva into school to be part of my Halloween display. I displayed her with some horror books that center on dolls:


She attracted quite a bit of attention, and we started moving her around.

Here she is, hiding behind some books.

This week, my co-worker and I were talking about the Elf on the Shelf trend. Neither of us are huge fans of it, but she suggested that we do Minerva on the Shelf, and it was impossible to resist. So now we're trying to come up with ideas for Minerva. Today we caught her lounging around, watching some TV.


I think she deserves a little R&R- she looks like she's had a tough life.











No comments:

Post a Comment