Sunday, October 14, 2012

 I am a librarian.

I am also a newborn comic book geek.

The latter is a direct result of the first. I found out a few months ago that Batgirl's alter-ego Barbara Gordon (daughter of Commissioner Gordon) is a librarian. I thought "That is TOTALLY FREAKIN' AWESOME!"

A superhero librarian! Delivering literature to the masses! Tracking down overdue fines! Filing books in their proper genres in the most accessible way possible! I think all librarians are superheroes, but Batgirl is an exceptionally cool one.

I wish I could pull off that sparkly, purple spandex!

Seeing myself as a superhero (even though I kinda did before) made me think about who my arch nemesis would be. All superheroes have an arch-nemesis, so I need to find one. Then, I realized I already kind of had one. My earlier posts about teeth in popular culture might have given you the hint that I have kind of a thing about going to the dentist. That is, I don't. Or, at least I didn't for about 12 years.

I am not generally a fearful person. I can handle sharks, snakes, spiders, bats, rodents and other creepy crawlers. I am more than willing to climb onto a horse, airplane or surfboard. I never get stage fright. Small spaces and heights are no problem. But, dentistry is like Kryptonite to me. It makes me sick, it drains my strength, and I am pretty convinced it will kill me some day.

Speaking of Kryptonite, I recently found and bought a 1974 Superman comic book that deals with my own personal brand of Kryptonite. Superman versus a dentist!

 Does Superman need novocaine?


 Poor Superman! The evil dentist slipped him some chocolates that were laced with Kyptonite! Then, once they have him in The Chair, they try to brainwash him!

If Superman can't handle a trip to the dentist, then how can anyone else?








No comments:

Post a Comment