Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Layers in Mixed Media Collage

My last post was about my struggle with watercolors. Apparently that art form requires much more patience than I used to exercising when it come to artwork.

One of my go-to's when I'm in the mood to create art has always been mixed media collage.

One of the benefits of this form is that you can do it with very little money. I always try to use old canvases (I just put white gesso over them to get a blank slate), and I have been gifted some, or found them in thrift stores, or even on the side of the road in 'free' piles.

I have found that the secret to make a great mixed media collage is layering.

First I layer the gesso. Even if the canvas is already white, it just makes a good foundation.

Then I layer the acrylic paint in my choice of colors.

After that, I start putting down the images I want. I usually get them from old magazines or greeting cards, but you can also purchase vintage-looking ephemera at craft stores for these types of purposes. I use Mod Podge to attach them.



After I have a number of images in place, I use some washi tape to frame the images, or create interesting lines.

I also use some of those word/phrase stickers sometimes to create little poems or stories within the collage.

Then on the top layer, I put ribbons, or buttons or pieces of discarded jewelry or any other accouterments I want. I fire up my glue fun for that step.


After all those layers, it usually looks complete to me. Sometimes if I find a perfect button or something, I'll go back and add it later, but this one is already hanging up in my bedroom now.


So there's my art-inspired blog post of the day, for at least as long as COVID-19 is forcing the closure of my school.







No comments:

Post a Comment