Tuesday, March 17, 2020

"It was dark times, Harry, dark times."

I have to admit that as soon as my school announced the closure due to COVID 19, that line from Hagrid is the first thing that popped into my head. Just last week I was taking the 4th graders outside to tap maple trees, torturing the 5th graders with my terrible singing voice (and a song about dracunculus medinensis) and getting hugs from Kindergarteners. Now I've had to pack up the library as best as I can to prepare for a thorough disinfecting. It doesn't even look like the library I tried so hard to make a friendly, comfortable, inviting space.


We've been preparing for distance learning for the past few days. It's very different than what most of us are used to in a K-8 school, but I am trying hard to be optimistic about it, and I hope that we are successful in it because it could provide more opportunities: like being able to instruct during snow days, or being able to provide better instructions on our sick days. For example, if my son gets sick and I need to stay home, I could potentially Skype into the library, talk to the guest teacher or ask the students if they have questions. 

I did not see this coming, and I know a lot of other people didn't either, at least not to this extent.

But I keep reminding myself that previous generations have faced world wars, widespread economic depressions, and natural disasters. 

This isn't fun, but a lot of things in life aren't fun.

Since I began with a Harry Potter quote, I will end with one, too:

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment