Thursday, September 15, 2016

Since You've Been Gone book review

First of all, I have to say that it's impossible for me to look at this book cover and not think of the Kelly Clarkson song of the same title. I don't even like that song, but I've heard it enough times on the radio to know the lyrics, and whenever I saw this book in the library or on my nightstand, that earworm would start up.

That aside though, this book was a fun YA read. Emily becomes fast friends with Sloane, whose bohemian parents move around constantly. One summer after returning from a family trip, Emily finds that Sloane's family has moved again, leaving her friendless. No goodbyes or explanations- just gone. Until that is, a mysterious list of tasks arrives in the mail that Emily must complete. Things like Sleep Under the Stars, Kiss a Stranger, Hug a Jamie. Her best friend has assigned these tasks to her not because she will be rewarded with a reunion but because doing those things will lead her to meet new people and conquer fears, so even with the sadness of losing her best friend, Emily will find some happiness.


It's not the most thought-provoking or intellectual YA book I've read, but that's not to say it's not a good book. I enjoyed the story, and it was an easy read- something I could easily slip into when I got into bed and read for a while before I got sleepy. There's a little romance in there, but the meat of the story is about friendship- old ones and the way we all struggle to forge new ones. I'll recommend it to students who like books such as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and others that focus on female friendship.



No comments:

Post a Comment