Friday, September 2, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- no spoilers, so don't worry

I'm only 1/2 through it now, but I just started reading it this morning around 11:00, so I'm sure it won't take too long for me to finish it.



I didn't rush to get this book, as I did the novels, but I'm glad to be reading it now.

I'd forgotten how wonderful it feels to slip into another world. I mean, I'm always reading and slipping into other worlds, but the Wizarding World created by JK Rowling is one that's so familiar to me now that reading another story  about Harry, Ron and Hermione feels so natural. I don't have to sit and think about what things 'might' look like because I know what they look like. I've read the books and seen the films and visited Platform 9 and 3/4 in London and drank butterbeer in Hogsmeade (via Universal Studios). I even created my own magical used bookstore in 1:12 scale. This is a world that I can slip into with very little effort now.

And on a personal note (more personal than usual)- I picked up this book yesterday at my library, and it felt right. Yesterday was the anniversary of my cousin Madeline's death, and Madeline loved the Harry Potter books. She grew up reading the series. She dressed up as Harry Potter one year for Halloween. I remember her posting on Facebook when the second part of the Deathly Hallows movie was released, about how it was the end of an era. After she died, I remember seeing her Harry Potter books neatly lined up on her shelves. I'm glad I didn't rush out to buy the book a couple weeks ago because reading it now is an appropriate way to honor her.

No comments:

Post a Comment