Thursday, November 5, 2015

Cardboard Box Becomes Rabbit Burrow

Just a little update on my latest literary-inspired dollhouse.

Months ago, I was musing about which story to try recreating next, and my husband suggested Peter Rabbit. I thought it was a great idea, but I didn't have the opportunity to start until August.

In August, I went to a workshop about makerspaces in libraries, and as a part of the workshop we 'tinkered' about with different materials, experimenting. I really wanted to run right over to the cardboard station, because I'm already pretty adept at transforming cardboard boxes into 1:12 scenes. BUT, I forced myself to try something new, since that was the whole point of the workshop, and of makerspaces. I started off with squishy circuits (wires, lightbulbs, batteries and conductive playdough) and then I moved onto the sewing machine station. Afterwards, I felt it was OK to return to a medium I'm already comfortable with.

I couldn't do much during the workshop day, but I reinforced the cardboard sides of the box, and used crumpled newspaper to start shaping the inside walls of the burrow. Later at home, I used plaster cloth and paint and spackle on top of the newspaper.

Since August, I've been working on it whenever I get a chance, and it's finally starting to match my original vision.



Just yesterday, Peter Rabbit, his mother Josephine, and the young Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail arrived. Peter is already getting into mischief in Mr. McGregor's garden:


It's a good thing his mother has some camomile tea ready:


I love making these miniature scenes and dollhouses that are based on stories. It allows me experiences the stories I love in a new way, making my own adjustments or additions. It's kind of like fanfiction. Sometimes I think they're a waste of time and money because they really don't serve much of a purpose- but I can't stop making them.

I recently stocked up on Halloween miniatures that were on clearance because I'd like to do a Nightmare Before Christmas scene eventually, and just the other day I thought it'd be fun to do an Alice in Wonderland scene.  .  .

What am I going to do with all these dollhouses and roomboxes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment