Months ago, I was musing about which story to try recreating next, and my husband suggested Peter Rabbit. I thought it was a great idea, but I didn't have the opportunity to start until August.
In August, I went to a workshop about makerspaces in libraries, and as a part of the workshop we 'tinkered' about with different materials, experimenting. I really wanted to run right over to the cardboard station, because I'm already pretty adept at transforming cardboard boxes into 1:12 scenes. BUT, I forced myself to try something new, since that was the whole point of the workshop, and of makerspaces. I started off with squishy circuits (wires, lightbulbs, batteries and conductive playdough) and then I moved onto the sewing machine station. Afterwards, I felt it was OK to return to a medium I'm already comfortable with.
I couldn't do much during the workshop day, but I reinforced the cardboard sides of the box, and used crumpled newspaper to start shaping the inside walls of the burrow. Later at home, I used plaster cloth and paint and spackle on top of the newspaper.
Since August, I've been working on it whenever I get a chance, and it's finally starting to match my original vision.
Just yesterday, Peter Rabbit, his mother Josephine, and the young Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail arrived. Peter is already getting into mischief in Mr. McGregor's garden:
It's a good thing his mother has some camomile tea ready: