Saturday, May 9, 2015

Children's Book Themed Nursery

So I abandoned blogging for a while. Not because I didn't like it or because I ran out of things to say, but simply because real life got in the way. I finished grad school, got a job I love, got married, went on a European honeymoon, bought a home, got pregnant, and gave birth to my so  a couple months ago.

I don't plan to post alot of personal stuff on here, but since I decorated Baby J's nursery in a children's book motif, it's relevant here.

 When my husband and I bought our home, there was a very cute little room painted in nice bright colors, but it had hideous Sponge Bob Square Pants decorations in it. Removing those was one of my first home projects- even before I knew I was pregnant.

So here's some photos of all the lovable classic characters that have a home in Baby J's nursery.

I scored this vintage Padington poster from Goodwill!

wall shelf with some pretty recognizable faces

Michael Hague is one of my all-time favorite illustrators, so I framed some book pages.
Also, the drawing on the upper right was by him, especially for me.

I got these one of a kind drawings by Eric Carle a couple years ago during
 a special event at the Carle Museum in Amherst, MA

Here's a lovable cast of characters!

A friend of ours did this beautiful picture of 
Paddington, with Baby J's initials in the corners.

A basket of bears! Paddington has a special significance. 
When I was very little, I had a Paddington picture in my room. 
And on our honeymoon, we went to Paddington Station so I could 
see the Paddington statue (and of course stop at the gift shop).
 In fact, while I was in the gift shop, the cashier told me that
 she was not used to seeing bears with yellow hats. 
Apparently, the true English bears wear red hats, and 
when the Eden Toy Co. in NYC got permission to 
produce the bears, they had to make yellow hats so that 
the English bears and the American bears could be deciphered.

The Paddington that is standing up is an original from England, 
wearing the child size Dunlop boots, rather than
 the boots that were  specially manufactured 
for the bears in later years.

I think that's enough baby stuff for now. 






No comments:

Post a Comment