Thursday, August 4, 2011

You Gotta Love Unintentionally Dirty Children's Books!

Like I've said before, I enjoy the blogs Vintage Books My Kid Loves as well as Jacket Knack. Sometimes when I get bored, I sort through my vintage books and look at the illustrations. I was doing this recently and I grabbed this book from the shelf.


The cover is such a pop of color, with Puss in Boots in the foreground, and a little knight in the background. Dick and Jane doppelgangers encroaching on the picture- telling the1950's parents who would have seen it in a toy shop or drug store: "Yes- your children will enjoy this book!"

It contains  a number of classic fairy tales, such as Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, etc. but this page definitely surprised me:


Now of course, I know that 'ass' means 'donkey', but I could not help laughing when I saw this.

And then, I read it in my giggly state and it just got worse.

I'll leave you with a quote from the book:

""Just wait until I feed my ass," said Jack.
 .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin
    I enjoy your blog. Also, I think this Puss in Boots is the book from my childhood that I have been looking for for more then 25 years!
    Could you please send me a few details about the book, so I can search for a copy to buy? Things like publisher, year of publication, anything that you think might help.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete