Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thinking Too Much About Random Lines in Comedy Movies (again)

I was watching Baby Mama today (that movie has not been ruined for me yet by any school stuff) and I experienced a very slight deja vu when Carl tells Angie (regarding a pregnancy scheme): "Sweetie, you're not smart enough to pull this off."


It immediately reminded me of the line in Legally Blonde when Warner tells Elle (regarding an internship at a law office): "You're not smart enough, sweetie."


I know that these are fictional characters in comedy movies and I've probably already thought too much about this, but who could possibly think that inserting the word "sweetie" could soften an insult in which a man tells a woman she's too dumb to succeed, so why bother trying?



No comments:

Post a Comment