Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Quarantine Reads

I love to read historical fiction, but during the school year I tend to read books that are shorter, like graphic novels. I'm using this excess of time to sink my teeth into some more substantial stories.

I always love to read historical fiction, but I think it is important at times likes this to think about the past; what tragedies have occurred, how people have endured times of grief and uncertainty in previous times so that we have keep our current situation in context.

This time has been very difficult for most people, but I remind myself of how fortunate I am. I still have my income, I have a loving family that is still healthy, and we live in a home that is surrounded by woods and gives us many oppurtunities to be outside, enjoying nature, even if we cannot go anywhere else.

Based on a Holocaust survivor's account

Amazon.com: Prisoner B-3087 (9780545459013): Gratz, Alan, Gruener ...



A historical fiction book about romance and the Titanic

The Girl Who Came Home: A Novel of the Titanic (P.S.): Gaynor, Hazel

A science-fictiony horror story, set in an asylum in the 50's

Amazon.com: Nightingale (9781335012340): Lukavics, Amy: Books

And because I love a good asylum tale, this one takes place in 19th century. It's more mystery than horror, but it contains some wonderful parallels to Jane Eyre, and centers around one of my all-time favorite literary criticism themes: the Mad Woman in the Attic


Now I need to find more books to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment