Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Merry Christmas

My father's father passed away in 2003. Shortly afterwards, the family was going through old pictures and mementos, like most families do when they lose a loved one.


This photograph hangs on the wall of my stairwell. I still remember the first time I saw this photo, and it kind of gave me chills when the gravity of it set in.




It was taken at Christmas time, sometime in the 1940's. We often take pictures of our Christmas trees so we can try to capture the spirit of Christmas for future years. In fact, I keep seeing this article pop up on social media that compiles photos of Christmas trees for the past 100 years and it is interesting to see this icon of holiday history travel through time.

The focus of my family's photo isn't the tree though, it's the four portraits underneath it. My grandfather (2nd from the right) and three of his (seven) brothers were all serving in different branches of the military during World War II. I can't imagine how his parents, remaining brothers and sister felt that year, not knowing if any of them would return home.

The holiday season stresses us out for so many reasons, and most of us have some struggles during this time; we mourn those who have died, and feel guilty about relationships that are strained or estranged while we feel compelled to put on happy faces and show up to parties and battle crowds everywhere we go.

I walk by this picture multiple times every day, but the other day I stopped and looked at it for a minute. Every year when I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" I try to imagine what Christmas must have been like for past generations; it always seems like it was easier. No booking flights or driving across multiple states to see your relatives. No Walmart. No TV's blaring movies that set unrealistic expectations and commercials for 'must have' toys. 

But this picture is my own reminder to try and focus on the most important things.

Peace and Merry Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment