Saturday, December 9, 2017

Just workin' on the dollhouses

I realize that I haven't posted much about any of my projects lately, so here's a little update:

I love this little roadside junk shop that I made, but it needed some landscaping, so I used one of those mats with dried reindeer moss, and I glued some coffee grounds to the spots that were bare, and added a couple random leaves and a little bush. The idea was to make it look like one of those little 'antique' stores that you might find on a rural road in the fall.


I also have been trying to fix up the Wizard of Oz house. I made it years ago, and moving around, and also displaying it at libraries and Maker Faire's has put some wear and tear on it. I've wanted some representation of Glinda for a long time now, and I finally got lucky one day during a thrift store visit, and found a Glinda ornament:


I suspended the ornament from the apple tree that I made out of driftwood and faux floral.

I also did a little landscaping on the geisha house, using the trusty old egg crate method to make stones for the pathway, and filling in the gaps with glue and coffee grounds.


I also finally finished the little waterfall koi pond.I know it would have looked better if I had used resin water, but since i've never done one before I didn't want to spend the money and have it turn out badly. I wanted a little practice first, so I used hot glue for the water.


Maybe some day I'll make a better one, but this will do for now.

Professor Applebaum is an interesting fellow. I have always thought that he looked musically inclined, and I recently found him a cello at thrift store, so now he can give little concerts at his wine and cheese parties.


I've always been much more interested in the interiors of dollhouses than the exteriors. I love when I find dollhouses that are already assembled, and it's even better if they're somewhat finished, so that I can get right into the good part. But, I have been saying for some time now that I'd like my houses to have nicer craftsmanship, and so I am forcing myself to work on the exterior parts of the buildings more. I decided to try my hand at making siding, and since this house only cost me a buck at Goodwill, it's a good house to practice on. It's also a good house to finish, because I'd really love to display this one, or possible enter it in a show someday.  .  .I've never seen anyone else do a dollhouse with a Beetlejuice theme before.


The photo shows the siding right now, as the glue is drying. When it's secure, I will paint it.

Lastly, my dollhouse based on A Christmas Story is currently on display at Dover Public Library:


So, that's what new with some of my many, many dollhouses.


No comments:

Post a Comment