Saturday, January 14, 2017

Wabi Sabi

I was recently introduced to the Japanese philosophy of Wabi Sabi.

This concept is derived from Buddhism and represents a world view focused on transience and imperfection. Basically, the flaws we see in art, everyday objects or ourselves should not only be accepted, but celebrated. These flaws remind us that nothing is perfect or permanent. Cracks, crevices rust and peeling paint are all marks left behind by time, weather and loving use. Everything around us is transient, as are we, and all of it is constantly in the process of returning to the dust from which it was made.

I am in love with this phrase, because I never knew that one existed for the way I live.

My home is an altar Wabi Sabi: the art I make, to the roadside cast-off furniture I bring in, my vintage cookware that's cracked and chipped, the teddy bear that's missing his arms and an ear that I found washed up on the beach.

                          Broken keys on a typewriter                            The teddy bear that washed up on Long Sands 

                        Chippy paint on this old window frame                        Rust on this discarded door

                         Layers of peeling paint on                                     A chipped teacup holds flowers
                       this abandoned rocking chair


I've become very selective about the people I invite to my home because I know many people would look around my yard and house and just think all the stuff is "weird." Hand-made wind chimes, funky painted furniture, blue bottles hanging from trees, orphaned dolls and stuffed animals.  .  .it's not because I'm poor or weird or a hoarder, it's because I think they're beautiful, and they contain stories.

I don't usually have to explain any of this to people (because I don't invite people over who wouldn't understand and the people who do come over are friends who don't need it explained) but it's nice to know that this is a philosophy- not just an eccentricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment