Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Harry Potter dollhouse

I'm an exhibitor at the Maker's Faire this year, for the second time. The last time I was involved, I applied with the hope that I would meet other hobbyists. However, most of the people that were exhibiting were selling, and I was just there to have fun and try to meet other people with the same interest.

My husband came up with the name One Story Houses for my little booth, because I display the dollhouses I've made. Many of the dollhouses I make are inspired by favorite books and stories.

One of the dollhouses that's proved its popularity is The Odd Shoppe.

The Odd Shoppe is inspired by the little cottages and shops that make up Hogsmeade, an all-wizarding village frequented by Harry Potter and the students of Hogwarts. It's my own version of fan fiction; instead of creating my own characters and settings and plot lines in writing, I create them in 1:12 scale miniature scenes.

Like many of my other houses (I have alot of them) this one was rescued from a thrift store. It was already assembled, but needed to be decorated and polished.


I liked the front door with the ship design on the 'glass' but it didn't really match the magical theme, so I took out the window and made it look like a paneled door. I also added a door knocker (earring from Goodwill) in the shape of a lion's head, because the lion is the mascot of Harry's house Gryffindor.

The Odd Shoppe is kind of like a little used book shop, and also sells potions, owl accessories and other miscellany.


Hogsmeade is described as a quaint village resembling a Christmas card in the winter, but it seemed fitting to me that it'd be decorated at Halloween time.



The purveyor is Bartina Bogtrotter (whose name comes from references from The Simpsons and Roald Dahl's Matilda).


Bartina Bogtrotter is a character of my own creation, but the other characters present are all original ones from the books:
Dumbledore and Fawkes
(Fawkes was a keychain from the Orlando theme park!)

Kreacher

Dobby's on top of the cabinet, and 
Crookshanks is guarding Hermione's trunk

I know there are many Harry Potter inspired dollhouses out there, and I also know that the craftsmanship of mine is pretty amateur compared to them, but I am proud of the fact that mine has a sound mechanism hidden inside, that plays the theme music and really sets the scene.


As you exit, feel free to grab a piece of candy, and the latest issues of 
The Daily Prophet and The Quibbler:


Oh, and we can't forget the Butter Beer!


You should NEVER forget the butter beer!





No comments:

Post a Comment