Sunday, October 27, 2019

a B movie and a Barbara movie


I've been able to sneak downstairs early a few mornings to indulge in some pre-code film gems. It's something I truly love and look forward to; lighting a fire in the woodstove, making a cup of tea, and snuggling under blankets on the couch with an old movie on the TV.

 I admit that sometimes it's hard for me to break away from my favorite actors and actresses and watch films that star ones I'm not familiar with. But beggars can't be choosers, and when you're streaming movies for free on YouTube (because their copyrights expired and they went to the public domain) you have to see what comes up.  The first one that came up featured a cast I was not familiar with. But look at the pulp-fiction imagery on the poster!


I couldn't resist. And of course any film that centers around a troupe of cabaret singers won't disappoint. Within the first few minutes, a man is peeping through a keyhole on a ship, hoping to see a young lady undress. The story that follows includes suicide, divorce and knife-fights.  .  .not bad for a B movie.

 The next one I need to write about is from 1929, so it's a very early talkie. In fact, I commented to my husband that this film illustrates very well the bridge from the silent because although there is sound, their faces and body language still do quite a bit of the communicating and acting.

This film is the second one starring Barbara Stanwyck. Her first film was a silent one, which has been since been lost. 

The title of the film alone is pretty risque, because we all know what happens when men and women are behind locked doors together. There's also alot of drinking shown, which was obviously still illegal in 1929 thanks to Prohibition. At one point a man questions his wife about a mutual acquaintance, plainly asking "Did he ever make love to you?". Obviously he's concerned about her virtue and pre-marital chastity, but with that question he also concedes that it was possible.


I'm watching another Stanwyck movie now, but it's not a pre-code one so I'll write about it in a future post.


No comments:

Post a Comment