Saturday, April 18, 2020

Hippie Camper from from Recycled Cardboard

In order to practice safe social distancing, we have been doing a lot of grocery (and wine) delivery services. Eric signed up for Misfits Market and the produce came packaged in this rippled cardboard that immediately reminded me of aluminum roofing, so I saved it for another project.

I've been wanting to do a miniature camper, and I had my eye on some kits online like these ones:


But I didn't want to spend more money on more dollhouse things, so I decided to try and make my own. We have a ton of cardboard around the house from all the deliveries we've been getting, so I used that to make a basic shape, and I attached the roof with hot glue:



Next, I covered the front and back with gesso to strengthen it, and make a good painting surface. I chose to paint it white and pink, so it would look vintage and colorful. The roof is painted metallic gold right now, because I couldn't find any metallic silver. I used some Tim Holtz paper for the flowery wallpaper, and some dollar store shelf paper for the 'wood' floor.


I had the sink saved from a previous house, which got damaged beyond repair and thrown away.


I added some little tassel decorations and the mattress was in my stash- the blanket is a vintage linen, which goes along with the Flower Power theme.


Since there are no working lights inside the structure, it's a little dark. I added these dollar store flower lights from my stash (whenever Dollar Tree has mini lights, I stock up!)


I still have more work to do to make it look more polished, but it will be fun to collect some groovy accessories to fill it with.

I wish I had a tiny hippie to live in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment