Tuesday, June 25, 2019

I MET RL STINE!

Be Still, My Horror-Loving Heart!

So yesterday I was at ALA in Washington DC. I was glad to be there, and I picked up a lot of good stuff in the exhibit hall. I was a little bummed that some things had run out because yesterday was the last day, but I stumbled into a line. It was supposed to be a closed line, but then a woman came around the corner with a handful of ARCs, so I assumed she was letting a few more people join in.

I asked if this was the case, and she said yes. I looked at the book in her hands, and it was the newest RL Stine!



In case you live under a rock, RL Stine is a horror master. He creates the future Stephen King fans by thrilling us and enticing us back again and again. I spent my youth reading Goosebumps and Fear Street and watching Goosebumps every Friday afternoon and watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? every Saturday evening.

So I waited in line (maybe 30 mins total) to get a not-yet-published book signed by one of the authors that shaped my reading identity.



And when I finally got to meet him, I brought up the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Documentary, because he was interviewed in it. I told him I'm also interviewed in it, so we chatted for  a minute about how much work the creator put into it, and how good the animations in it look.  .  .



It was the highlight of the conference.


No comments:

Post a Comment