Monday, January 14, 2019

EBSCO Success

Just a quick post-

Today I taught my first lesson about database research in school.

I was pretty nervous- I've taught research methods before, as a college instructor. But I'd never taught this stuff to young students before, and I was worried that I would go too fast for them, or make assumptions about their knowledge and skills and we'd all end up in a sinking ship.

I even had anxiety nightmares about it last night.

But it looks like my planning yesterday, and patience today with the students paid off. I was in the classroom for almost an hour, and the students tried really hard to think about the keywords they needed to 'unlock' the answers.

As a final activity, I put 3 staements on the board, 2 were true and one was false. They had to figure out which statement was false. Several students found the exact article that disproved the false statement, and were able to read from it to show the rest of the class the correct information.

Tis afternoon, another teacher emailed me about setting up an EBSCO lesson, so I hope that one goes as well as this one did.

No comments:

Post a Comment