Friday, March 24, 2017

Quick Little Update

Well, I finished The Pact, the book I wrote about a few days ago. I actually finished it in about two days, but I wanted to write about Beauty and the Beast first. Now I need to find a new book to keep my personal Reading Without Walls challenge going.

I recommended the book to one of the teachers in my school, and she put it on request immediately; it's always a compliment when someone trusts your judgement in books.

Last weekend was St. Patrick's Day, and I watched my usual movies:

  

The first two films are rather somber; the first is obviously based on Frank McCourt's memoir of his childhood, and the second film reveals the abuses that occurred in the Magdalene Asylums that were run by an order of Catholic nuns. I wrote a blog post about it a couple years ago. The third movie is a silly one, a romantic comedy that stars Pierce Brosnan and Julianne Moore, about two lawyers who are oppositional in the courtroom, but have an undeniable attraction to each other outside of it. It's not exactly Adam's Rib, but it's fun to watch.

Since I finished The Pact, I moved on to one of the other ILL books that's been in my stack for a while. It's a horror story, told in a multi-media format. Aside from Winnie's narration, there are posters, and scripts for the  paranormal investigative TV show she's interning at. I like multi-media format novels, but something that's distracting me is the way that Winnie narrates in second person POV. She's writing to her friend LU, if not a formal letter then just in a conversational tone, and reading "You do this" and "You remember that" is hard for me to get into when it's supposed to be horror. I like my horror to be a voyeuristic experience: looking in on a separate story and watching the action unfold from my own seat. I don't really want to be "in" the story myself, so when the narrator keeps breaking the fourth wall by saying "you" (meaning me), it breaks my focus.


I'm going to keep plugging away at it, and see if I can get past that because it seems like the story is building up to something good.



No comments:

Post a Comment